What's for Dinner?

"What's for Dinner?" The catch-cry heard in family homes all around the nation most nights of the week, if not all?

Why is it "so" difficult for us Mums to have to think about what we're going to eat, who likes it, who doesn't - and the story goes on.

I'm writing this blog and send an invitation to as many Mums as possible, to join in & add your meal ideas & recipes. I'm really wanting to gather some great everynight dinners to make all of our lives easier! I'm a 'foodie' from way back & really enjoy all aspects of cooking, dining & anything associated. I have saved literally 1000's of recipes from the past 25 years, typed 1000s of recipes, not to mention collecting an extensive range of cookbooks. I love inventing new recipes or adapting ones that I alread have.

Now, just because my taste is gourmet, doesn't mean that the rest of my family's is. Hubby loves grilled meats and vegetables, but lots of it, Reef (8 year old son), is fairly adventurous but still isn't into vegetables and little Finn (5 years old) is really fussy so it's a gradual introduction with a bit of bribing. I try & cook meals that include everybody's tastes, but it does involve more pots & pans. Luckily, I've never had to wash up - I don't have a chance, as hubby is up & doing it before I can put down my fork.

The most successful method I have used for working out the family dinners, is to allocate a 'meal type or food' to each day of the week, according to our individual family's activities, e.g., if we have a round of golf on a Thursday afternoon, we need to have an easy meal for that night. We may use that as the Take Away night. But whatever suits you & your family, is what you slot in.

At present, I use the following formula -
  1. Monday - Beef or Mince
  2. Tuesday - Chicken
  3. Wednesday - Seafood or Fish
  4. Thursday - Lamb or Pork
  5. Friday - Pizza ( either homemade or Take Away)
  6. Saturday - Seafood or Pasta
  7. Sunday - Roasted Meal
Following this method, I can more easily choose a meal for the evening - either ahead of time or spur of the momen e.g.
  • Beef or Mince ( boundless choices including Spag Bol, Steak & Vegs., Shepherds Pie) etc.
  • Chicken - (Parmigiana, Thai Chicken & Vegs., Chicken with Spinach & Feta)
  • Seafood or Fish (Grilled Salmon, Garlic Prawns, Korean Fried Fish)
  • Lamb or Pork (Lamb Spinach Curry, Thin Pork Sausages, Lamb Wrap)
  • Pizza - your choice
  • Seafood or Pasta/Noodles - (Spaghetti Marinara, Fish & Chips, Ricotta Gnocchi with Seafood Sauce)
  • Roast (Spiced Beef, Roast Lamb, Roast Chicken)
They were just a few recipes that came to mind. This way choices are narrowed down, leaving it much easier to devise your menu.

I like to add lots of variety to my nightly meals and quite often try new recipes & just use my favourites occasionally or when I'm stuck for an idea. By trying new recipes, you develop a sense of achievement as well as introducing new food to the family and creating new family favourites. Leftover cooked meat goes into a bag, into the freezer & is saved for Saturday night's Pasta/Noodles or the relevant night to the meat. Cooked meat can be thrown in with Hokkien Noodles, various sauces and vegs to create a great Noodle dish - easy & quick.

Please join in this venture and add your favourite family dinner recipes. Ultimately, I'd like to put together a book of the most popular, tasty & easy to make dinners - to save new Mums & others who find it difficult and worry incessantly about the evening meal. There's no point copying & pasting from a recipe you see, as this defeats the purpose. It must be something you have made at least once, that is foolproof. I will vetoe all recipes.

I'm going to post my dinners, as often as possible - and I hope you do yours!

Popular Posts